Pages

Saturday, March 20, 2010

Linda Ravenscroft Shines Brightly


Linda Ravenscroft is one of the premiere Fantasy Faerie painters in the entire realm. Her figure and line work is impeccable and very reminiscent of my favorite artist Alphonse Mucha in all its lyrical beauty. The colors and hues in her artwork are rich, and they contain the magic of her chosen medium which is watercolor. There is a world of thought and inspiration in each and every image she creates.


I first met Linda at 'The Spoutwood Farm Fairy Festival' in 2007. I was looking over the items at the new Faerie Magazine booth. As I admired a piece of art I thought I might purchase, a very nice lady who I thought was a volunteer working in the booth began speaking with me. I was surprised to find she was the artist of the piece! That woman was Linda Ravenscroft. She then told me of the story behind the artwork called "The Marked One."


I found that I was in tune with the artwork, because it represented having the courage to be yourself and pursue  your creative side no matter what others may think, because you have been marked by Spirit to be an artist. The Fairy in the print has a tattoo just like Linda so this Fairy represents Linda's journey to believe in herself as a working fantasy artist.


Linda worked for years in an office job. I can relate because in my many art career incarnations, during some difficult economic times, I worked various office jobs in a temp agency. Then again I had to figure out a way to get back to full time creating and I renewed my mural and faux finishing business in the Baltimore Washington area for 12 more years. When I met Linda I had just retired from this very physically demanding artwork and was ready to change artistic direction. In a way Linda is my "Marked One" reminding me that good things come from following your passion. So I too am following a new path and seeing where creation will lead me. The "Marked One" print is now hanging in our studio.


Linda Ravenscroft is an extremely prolific artist and if you are not familiar with her work yet, you will be amazed at her catalog of art. Linda herself is a generous Spirit who gladly encourages all artists and shares her knowledge willingly. She has written a couple of books "How to Draw and Paint Fairies", "How to Draw and Paint Fairyland" and  "Enchanted: The Faerie and Fantasy Art Of Linda Ravenscroft" It is filled with beautiful full color plates of her very detailed Fae paintings. Each is accompanied by an explanation, inspiration, or poetry for each piece. A recent book that she published is called "The Fairy Artist Figure Drawing Bible." Linda has also created the artwork for a Faerie tarot deck, which is a huge undertaking for any artist.


Every time I meet up with Linda at a Fairy event she is kind, gracious and filled with good cheer. Linda and John always take the time to speak with Ben and myself and catch up on the latest project. If you have a chance to meet Linda at a festival do not be shy. Linda Ravenscroft is a very friendly faerie! She will sign your prints and books, and share with you the twinkle in her eyes and a very infectious smile. And who can resist her endearing English accent?
 


At the first 'Faerie Con' (2007) in Philly, Linda was showcased by Llewellyn the publisher of her 'Mystic Faerie Tarot' written by Barbara Moore. The booth was created by showcasing large blowups of Linda's artwork. Certainly this was proof that her art looks fantastic at any size and stands the test of massive enlargement. This booth covered with her art was the most beautiful booth I have ever seen fabricated.

Linda says her inspiration comes from many sources. 
" I rely mostly on my dreams and inner feelings as I have done since I was a child, along with my love of nature, instilled within me from an early age by my parents, and their wonderful tales of myths and legends which they would share with me at bedtime."

 
Linda attends many Faerie Festivals and gatherings in the UK, Europe and may sometimes be found at the 'Spoutwood Farm May Day Faerie Festival' and 'Faerie Con' events in the USA. I am fortunate to live close enough to travel to both these Faerie Festivals. We have been going to Sproutwood for about 10 out of it's 18 years of existence as well as all 3 Faerie Con Gatherings. Now the faeries will welcome our dear Aowyn to the Magical May Day celebration were she can test out her new wings with all the beautiful fae.

You can meet many of your favorite fantasy artists, listen to wonderful music, eat yummy food, enjoy the great outdoor faerie realm, and get sparkling enchanted fairy supplies from the many vendors. In this photo from Spoutwood Farm in Glen Rock Pennsylvania, you can even see master artist Charles Vess in the background as well as Linda, Ben and me.

Here our little Fairy Binx is enjoying looking at one of Linda's colorful paintings  called "Phoenix Rising," at Faerie Con 09. You can attend lectures from the top people in the fantasy art, movie, publishing and music field as well as purchase costume supplies and artwork at Faerie Con. To be held in Hunt Valley Maryland again November 12 -14, 2010. This is a joyful place to express your magical self! You can certainly tell from this photo of us at the Faerie Magazine booth chatting, that Linda Ravenscroft is quite the adorable Imp. 

 
Linda gave a talk at Faerie Con 09 explaining her artwork that was both enchanting and moving. It was an honor to be in the room with such a empathic spirit. All good things to her and her family! Thank you for the inspiration! I highly recommend you go to Linda Ravenscroft's web site where you can purchase prints, originals, jewelry, figurines, tapestries and other gifts adorned with her fantasy artwork. I have a nice collection that is steadily growing. My daughter purchased a locket for me to celebrate Mother's Day with the 'Tears Of Luna' artwork you see below. It is a lovely piece that gets compliments every time I wear it. You know, 'Shine Brightly' is Linda's message to us, but I feel she is shining pretty brightly herself!


I will end with this blog post with a quote from Linda herself: "I find it easier to translate some of my feelings into my work, ironically, the sort of feelings that make you feel powerless to do anything about can be turned into the most enchanting images.  These are usually some of my larger more complicated paintings, each one containing my messages of hope, perhaps a gentle reminder to take care of the world and each other."

Linda Ravenscroft lives in Cheshire England with her husband John, and her daughter Vivien who is the muse for many of Linda's drawings and paintings.





No comments:

Post a Comment