Pages

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Gary Lippincott's Dream Is Real


As I walked through the 2009 Faerie Con Marketplace I looked over into a booth and saw a print of an illustration I loved and admired.  
A very magical wizard and dragon rendered to perfection.  Actually as I looked about this artists booth I realized it was filled with prints of the real thing!  Detailed fantasy artworks with the look of professional book illustration created by the finest of talent.  No these were not the silly little fad drawings of fairy sameness that I saw in a booth on previous aisle, where the only difference in each figure was the color of the dress. This beautiful and richly detailed collection of artwork was the real deal!  There was no doubt when I saw this artwork that this artist knew his stuff!  I looked for the booth name and saw it was Gary Lippincott.  Looking up at the tall bearded smiling man standing there I asked, "Did you do all this artwork?  Are you Gary?"


With a big grin on his face, he answered, "Why yes I did, and I am." Then of course I told him how I just loved his work.  I was sure he heard that line all day long, but never the less I think an artist deserves to hear how their work makes you happy!  Ben and I chatted with Gary and found him to be a very friendly adorable man with an endearing smile and laugh.  As we talked, I found out that Gary and I share the same alma mater, during the same years, The Maryland Institute College of Art (MICA).  We figure we probably passed each other on campus during those youthful days of yore! Though we are not saying when that was! Ben and I enjoyed spending time chatting with Gary and even sat together to listen to Brian Froud's talk. Gary is a kindred spirit whose kindness and down to earth good nature are easily felt by those fortunate enough to meet him in person.
 
When looking down upon Gary's display table I saw a book I had recently purchased called, "The Fantasy Illustrator's Technique Book." Yes this was Gary Lippincotts book. Synchronicity!  I love when the Universe does that! (I wish I had brought my copy to be signed. Well there is always the next gathering of fantasy artists this fall at Faerie Con. Gary will be attending once again).


 
An instructional book like this from a master artist is always of interest to me.  I love to see and read how other artists think.  Gary talks about the importance of visualizing, keeping sketch notebooks, and taking a camera with you when you go out to capture reference material. He also explains the many considerations that go into creating a finely rendered illustration, such as planning the design of your illustrated page, the tools, techniques, your characters, facial expressions, dramatic effects, using color and tips for taking your work to the next level. For this book he invited other artists to submit their work to this books fantasy art gallery and he speaks about what makes each piece work.
Gary also gives advice to those seeking a successful professional illustrators career path.

When planning his illustrations Gary anticipates many inventive possibilities for every crack and crevice or gnarled tree branch, to add more to the story and atmosphere of his final image.  His work will take you back to the days of holding a large picture book in your hands while you dream of distant lands filled with magical folk. We could all benefit from that release from this so called real world.
Aren't the images in this blog post wonderful!?! Most artists use relatives and friends as models for the people in their artwork, and the model for the fairy image below was Gary's daughter.


Gary Lippincotts illustrations are so full of detail that you will not be able to see everything in these small web sized examples of his artwork.  Be sure to check out his artwork at his web site http://www.garylippincott.com/   where you can learn more about Gary, buy prints and limited editions.  


A recent addition to books Gary has illustrated is the marvelous "Come to the Fairies Ball" By Jane Yolen. This book is filled with illustrations that also showcase Gary Lippincotts graphic design strength. The young adult fantasy and children's books illustrated by Gary Lippincott are available on Amazon, and I am sure you could find some of Gary's illustrated books at your local library too. Gary does commissioned work as well as his professional illustration jobs.  Can you imagine having yourself painted in watercolor as a princess in a magical land? Gary could make that happen for you. See the amazing example on his website!


Besides art college, questioning reality, and a love of dreams,  Gary and I share a love of two other fantasy art masters...  The great Alan Lee and Brian Froud.  Their artwork is what inspired Gary to become a fantasy artist....and so with Gary Lippincott the artistic goodness expands! And we are the better for it! Thanks Gary for being yourself, living the dream and making it reality!

UPDATE: Gary says they will be selling and signing the "Come To The Fairies Ball" book at Faerie Con since both he and Jane Yolen will be there this fall.

All art images are copyright Gary A. Lippincott


2 comments:

  1. Lovely as usual, hon. An excellent tribute to a great artist and kindred spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiya Crystal!! Thanks for the link to Gary Lippincott's site!! I definitely will spend some time ther!! I ADORE children's book illustrations- I may have to buy the Fairy's ball for ME!!
    Is Fairie Con local? It sounds like something I'd love.
    Do you have an e-mail address? i have loads more blog/art/graphic sites to share with you and that may be a better way to convey them.
    My e-addy is tamerakitten@yahoo.com
    Have a great weekend and say hi to Ben for me!

    ReplyDelete