Pages

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Morning Fog

 

I have never been a morning person. Vampire hours have been the norm for me since I was a child. In time I saw the need for my night owl schedule, and why God blessed me with a body clock to suit my artistic needs. My previous partners in life never appreciated my Circadian rhythms. Ben on the other hand happily shares the same sleep patterns and schedule. We enjoy our late night work hours together and it fits the rock n' roll lifestyle that my husbands gigs require. The difficulty has come with having my grand daughter arrive at 7 am on weekdays totally messing with our sleep nirvana. And then there are the hot flashes. Last week I woke at 5 am from that unwelcome sleep interrupter and glanced outside. 

What I saw out my window was a wondrous and magical world! A cloud had settled on the Shire! All I could think was "I must take photos!" In my zombie state I grabbed my camera and put my bare feet into a pair of rubber Croc ballet slipper shoes. I crossed the slope of the fog laden yard slipping and sliding on the wet grass. Not a good thing for a recently sprained ankle.  All that mattered for me was getting photos of this freshly fallen cloud bank. The moon was still visible to the west with a pink glow arriving in the eastern skyline. I made my way to the edge of the farmland and began. The distant hills looked like an Asian painting. Then the mystical cloud began to recede across the cornfield. This was exciting and I needed to keep taking photos before the mists disappeared. My husband appeared behind me, and said when he saw the fog he knew right where I would be....in the thick of it! Ben went back inside while I waited at the edge of the property for the moving fog to reveal the barn and buildings of the farm. I could see lights through the cloud and thought it would make for an eerie photograph. 

Suddenly the cloud bank began to move back towards me like an ocean wave. The fog rolled in at me fast. I had never been in this situation. A more dense fog began to cover all the trees, hedges, and morning light. Only the white gray ghost of this cloud filled the spaces in front of me. As the fog cloaked everything in sight I began to get a little uneasy. It continued towards the edge of the lawn and me. I thought about others being in unknown places having a fog roll in on them. Fog feels otherworldly, alive, and moves as if it will wrap you in its shrouded veil and take away your sense of direction and sight. Glad I was experiencing this phenomena in familiar territory, I felt my flight sensation start, and stood my ground.

Slight mists arose as the cloud stopped and rested. Thinking perhaps the fog may roll back again to finally let me take some shots of the farm buildings, I waited camera in hand. Not to be, so I looked around the yard to full fill my photographic obsession. 


Some flowers and little bluish mushrooms that seem to open in the morning dew and die off in the sun caught my eye. This morning fog thing was a nice adventure, but my feet were now sliding in the slippery wet dew covered slopes again. Time to get the Queen back inside the castle without falling or twisting the injured ankle. I could enjoy one more hour of precious sleep. I then thanked the Spirit of the world for allowing me the have a morning fog experience. 




4 comments:

  1. Hi Crystal--your pictures are gorgeous. Being a morning person (I'm at work at 6am) I get to see sights like this quite often--driving in them however is not so much fun. I have to drive over 2 mountains (South Mtn. & Braddock/Catoctin Mtn)and it's breath-taking looking out over the fog blanketed valleys from the top--especially when the dawn reflects over it.
    It was a PLEASURE meeting you Saturday nite--You and I chatted about blogs and digital art.
    Spectrum really rocked out! My husband finally understands what I've been telling him about the guitar awesomeness of Ben Sherman! He now wants to go see Hectic Red!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooo I envy the beauty of your drive! My daughter used to work out that way, and I would worry on snow days about her crossing those very mountains.

    It was nice to meet you too! I did not realize this icon pic was you. I hope you both get to come out to another show soon! HR is at 'Honfest' this weekend and Ben is playing acoustic at the 'Hard Rock Cafe' on Sunday afternoon. Big weekend again.

    Hey we need to trade some blog links etc!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My icon pic was taken on a bad hair day

    Have you checked out
    http://blog.crescendoh.com/crescendoh/
    It's an AWESOME artists blog started my the former editor in chief of Somerset magazine. The whole line of Somerset magazines are eye candy for artists. Their Digital Art one and Artful blogging are drool-worthy-plus it has links to all kinds of new blogs!
    Here's the link to their site:
    http://www.stampington.com/

    I checked out the queen book you recommended below--fabulous!
    Have you ever read the "Mists of Avalon" series?
    It tells the King Authur story from a female viewpoint--very cool. Focuses on Morgana.
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete