Pages

Monday, October 11, 2010

A Dali Halloween


For this digital collage art piece, I gave myself the challenge of creating a Halloween theme without using the usual spooky elements. I am sure I will do those in the future, but right now it's time for something odd and creepy. Very odd....very creepy.  And that calls for a tribute to one of my favorite artists Salvador Dali.

I incorporated a pen and ink drawing I had done depicting Dali as an anteater. Why an anteater? Well as a young art student I remember being grossed out and strangely intrigued by the notorious surrealist film he co-created with Luis Bunuel called "Un Cheien Andalou (An Andalusian Dog)." As I recall there were numerous ants in that film, some coming out of the palm of a hand. Oh yes, it was truly creepy.

As a teen I remember gawking at the original canvas for Dali's painting 'Soft Construction With Boiled Beans," a work that was so different from the other art I was accustomed to viewing. I became a fan of this unusual and fascinating surrealist art so full of symbolism. Dali was the master. His painting "Sacrament Of The Last Supper" is supremely stunning when viewed in person at The National Gallery Of Art in Washington,DC. He totally engulfed me in his vision. 


So there you have it! If you are familiar with Dali's artwork perhaps you will understand the odd-nicity of this tribute. Just for fun I think I will post this over at The Graphics Fairy Brag Monday Linking. Now won't this be the unusual piece with all those pretty things! 
A very Dali Halloween all. ....Quirky!

Credits: Textures - Shadowhouse Creations, Woman with crown, and bit of egg shell - The Graphics Fairy, Water elements - Marta Van Eck, Frame - Rosomaha Designs, Old Book - me, Clock - Catherine Designs (retired)


UPDATE!!! This... my first digital collage, (if you do not count this blog background), is being featured on The Graphics Fairy Brag Monday !!! Whooo hoot!!! I am shocked! Shocked.... I tell you!!! Oh my eyeball....eyeball!!! Thanks Karen!

14 comments:

  1. Totally COOL Crystal!!! Scary without being "obvious"
    For a moment i thought the anteater was a warped drawing of Seame Streets snuffleupagus.
    I always preferred the implied horror of alfred hitchcock and older Dracula movies then the slice and dice gore in horror movies today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tamera!
    I actually love Snuffy and have a little plastic figurine of him. I am not a fan of the modern horror movies at all either. I loved the old Saturday flicks like Dracula and the Mummy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am diggin' it! A completely different aspect of your creativity, still shining brightly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always Love Coming to Visit you! Your Blog Is Fun!!! Love It!
    Thank you so Much for your Words Of Encouragement! It means so Much!
    Have a Wonderful Day!
    Hugs
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Crystal,
    I wanted to let you know that I'll be bragging about you on my blog tomorrow! I'm featuring your fabulous Dali Collage on my Brag Monday post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMGGGGGGGG!!!!! Karen I am sooooo excited!!!! Thank you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your Dali artwork. We went to the High Museum here in Atlanta 2 weeks where Dali's work is on display. It makes me appreciate your "A Dali Halloween" even more!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks great!! Dali's work can definitely be disturbing, like something escaping from your mind that you weren't supposed to see.

    ReplyDelete
  9. CONGRATULATIONS on Being Featured!! You do Beautiful Work! Yay!!!
    Have a Wonderful Evening!
    Hugs
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ohh so atmospheric !! love this collage its so clever
    hugs June

    ReplyDelete
  11. it does look very halloween-y somehow. good challenge to do that.

    i have been fascinated by dali ever since seeing an exhibition of his sketches some years ago at Arken here in denmark. i think mostly they gave me a whole new view on the value of sketches, but he was one strange dude. he really lived his art fully. i so admire that.

    xox,
    /j

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm a tad late on this but congrats on your feature last week! Your work is awe-inspiring! I've been a huge fan of Dali's since high school too and your creation here was masterful!
    ♥Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello There Miss Painting Queen!! Thank You for Coming By and Your Kind Comments! When do we get to see more of your Wonderful Work!!
    Have a Great Evening!
    Hugs
    Jill

    ReplyDelete