Pages

Friday, September 18, 2009

Guitar Gods in the Mist

Today was dark and dreary. The kind of day where you can't motivate yourself to do much. A hot soup and warm bread kind of day. A day where you wish you could just sleep all day. The first day I don't have my little Binx for daycare and I should be accomplishing something! The King went out into the misty gray day feeling the same. He left trying to revive himself for teaching his guitar lessons and gig later tonight. I like to attend as many of Ben's gigs as I can, and be supportive of what he does. Tonight I could not get it together and decided to look forward to tomorrows acoustic gig closer to home. I miss him while he's out there working in the foggy damp evening.



Last night was fun. Even though it was a rainy ride downtown. I was just one of the guys going to see the new movie "It Might Get Loud." A documentary on the electric guitar viewed from three icons of different eras of rock. Jimmy Page. The Edge. Jack White. Riding with Ben and his musician friends was really enjoyable as it was time spent with the true believers. Loving music and creation... Music and memories... Music fills your life! We had a conversation on the ride home about the first time we heard Led Zeppelin. The memories colored our lives with excitement. We still felt the pounding rhythm and we road the emotional riffs. A big smile. A wink and a nod. Yes! Those sounds still carry the magic today! Music communicates.

Watching Jimmy Page in this movie was mesmerizing. It's the same way I look at Ben when he plays electric guitar. I cannot take my eyes off of him. Jimmy Page is fluid. Moving. Creating. Letting the source of it all out and through his fingertips. There should be a two hour very intimate documentary on Jimmy Page alone. He shines. Long silver locks, long cool looks, he charms you with the twinkle in his eyes, sly grin, and his lifetime of tales to tell. Jimmy is the Master Guitar God of Rock and you want him to share all the sparks. I need more of him! Please someone make an amazing Jimmy Page documentary!


Trying to get through this evening and get to work on some long standing projects. Still I am thinking about my Guitar God out there playing his hand made acoustic guitar called "El Nino" to tonight's crowd. I miss him and look for some photos I have taken of Ben playing his trusty old electric Strat. I found a file I have not looked at since I shot them on the Fourth of July Celebration in Frederick, Maryland. These photos are of Ben performing with Hectic Red.



These superb musicians have been playing ultimate classic rock for over 22 years together. Tight and powerful with incredible harmonies. This video is 'Hectic Red' at The Recher Theater in Towson during their 20th Anniversary Show playing the Dixie Dregs version of Led Zeppelin's Kashmir! If you watch it you will see I am not exaggerating on just how good Ben, Danny, Such and Rich play classic rock!

'Hectic Red' is how I came to meet the King...through my love of live music.
I was out in the crowd watching his every move. Feeling every riff. Already connected to him. His guitar strings had wrapped me in the sure feeling that Ben was my destiny. Ben's spirit called to me through his electric guitar... I felt the emotion of a thousand lifetimes...the spark of soul and spirit from his musical vibrations. We were meant to share this love of music together forever.

My favorite thing about these photos is I can see the Kings wedding ring! That is so cool. I love it! It is 2:50 AM. Ben just got in from the gig. Gotta go meet him at the door as he carrys in his Guitar.

No comments:

Post a Comment