Pages

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

The Ego Has No Heart


Let us set the stage and serve up the star of the show... The Ego.

I have observed that when people are living through the ego false-self, the wants of the 'me' outweigh their ability to take "others" into any consideration. It simply does not occur to them, as they are not living heart sourced. The ego becomes defensive and self righteous about it's actions and behaviors. When the ego-false-self steps on a person's heart they sadly do not realize they step on their own heart as well. To them there is the more important serious immediate business of feeding their raging ego.

 
This is my first attempt at creating the modern Zetti style digital collage. Way back in the 70's I did crazy collages made from magazine parts of people. Pasting new eyes and mouths on faces to make some really odd characters. Do you remember how much fun it was to take a pencil eraser to a big 'Life' magazine ad and make rays come from someone's eyes? I also loved making Rebus letters with found pictures and cut out
magazine words to send to friends. 

In the 80's I used to make photostats and xerox copies from the Dover vintage catalogs we had at the publications I worked for back then. Using the old fashion waxer I placed the sticky cut outs on paper, copied it again and hand colored my wacky announcements and party invitations. I even designed a stage set for a local music television show employing these techniques on a larger scale. So this kind of 'play' has always been fun for me over the years! Now with the wonderful world of digital art it makes everything you create in this art form so richly textured, colorful and coherent. I really am enjoying these little mini-paintings of quirkiness. There are a few more ideas "formin' in me head" of how to use this popular journaling art form to express some recent encounters...

My visits to Tumble Fish Studios were the inspiration to try my hand... and mouse at making these images. Thanks Marsha! You can click on the image to view it larger.

Credits: This Digital Collage used images from: Tumble Fish Studios - Disguise, Splendor, Etheral Rings, Fancy Shamancy, Jubilant, Masterpieces / Floor from Deviant Scrap by Finecrafted Designs -Zetti ReVamp

6 comments:

  1. I love it!!! I've enjoyed Tracy & Teesha Moore's work for years--- I have some of their rubber stamps. There is a Zettiology pool on Flickr you might want to check out.
    Teesha is beloved by art doll and fiber artisits--which is where I first found them.
    My goal for 2011--get back into making art dolls again--my brain is FILLED with ideas. In fact the character you created in this post would make an AWESOME doll!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tamera,
    Thanks I will check out the Flicker group.
    I did not know about the art doll connection. Plus I would love to see your dolls when you create them! Maybe you could make a Hon doll...Hon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i've seen this Ego of which you speak over the past couple of days...i worked with a very Ego-centric group of people and it was unpleasant for all concerned. what is up with that?

    very interesting digital collage. but there's something about cutting and gluing, isn't there?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the cutting and gluing make the art very handmade looking and the digital can be so perfect. I like them both and have finally given up my prejudice against technology. haha! Which came from my idea that the computer would suck me down it's rabbit hole! It's nice down here!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello! First, thank you for the kind visits - they mean so much to me. And next, thank you for this post. I can apply the first part to my own life, myself, and others that have made my life more challenging lately. What insight and I will be thinking about this as I go about doing other things the next few days. It is very good food for thought. Now, I really enjoyed reading about your past collage work. I remember the wax machines - put wax on in stripes. Wow, I hadn't thought of those in a while. When I was getting my art degree, we handset lead type and used a letterpress for most of our portfolio work. We did some more commercial type work with a linotype machine and the big huge camera thing we used to blow up images. I've forgotten the names of so many of those things. Anyway, the first time I tried using Microsoft Publisher in the early 90's, I was astonished that you could type, make a few clicks, and change the typeface and throw in a picture lickity split. Oh, the good (?) old days. Well, I love knowing more of your background and I love seeing you explore new territory too. It's a constant learning process I have found. And, I still like the ol' cut and paste too - work seems more molded somehow, more brought up from the depths of the imagination. Your collage is fantastic! YOU are inspiring me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! Thanks for leaving me a comment and providing me with the link back to discover your wonderful blog! And more than that - this post concerning ego - a topic I have spent and continue to spend much thought on almost daily.
    I will reserve more comments for a time when I am better rested but wanted to just pop by and say hi! I also love seeing what other artists do with Tumble Fish Studio's fabulous images! Your work is stellar!

    ReplyDelete